[ESS] Error occurs while loading ~/.emacs

Main, Regan rmain at rand.org
Tue Nov 18 21:01:37 CET 2014

Hello-

We recently installed Emacs on a linux server and are having difficulty getting it to load our .emacs files.  When I open emacs in debug mode, I get the following notes in the backtrace buffer:
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function resize-minibuffer-mode)
  (resize-minibuffer-mode)
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "/home/rmain/.emacs" nil t)  ; Reading at buffer position 2274
  load-with-code-conversion("/home/rmain/.emacs" "/home/rmain/.emacs" t t)
  load("~/.emacs" t t)
  #[nil "^H\205\264^@   \306=\203^Q^@\307^H\310Q\2027^@ \311=\2033^@\312\307\313\314#\203#^@\315\2027^@\312\307\313\316#\203/^@\317\2027^@\315\2027^@\307^H\320Q^Z\321^S\322\n\321\211#\210^K\321=\2$
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()

Can someone help me troubleshoot this issue please?  We are using Emacs 23.1.

Thank you,
-Regan Main