[ESS] Using ESS with S-plus 8.1

Richard M. Heiberger rmh at temple.edu
Mon Nov 10 23:45:29 CET 2014

yes, unfortunately cygwin is not relevant to this problem.

The *S+* must exist and must be running msdos.  You never write to that
window directly.  The ESS commands use that window as an intermediate
in their sending the S+ statements from myfile.s to the S+ GUI.

If you install cygwin and use S+6-existing, then the *S+* window will run
bash, not msdos.  It is still an intermediate in the communication and not
to be used directly.