[ESS] indentation of ggplot code and ess from MELPA

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon May 19 18:20:14 CEST 2014

(subject corrected!)

> Dear All,

> I have weird indentation problems with ggplot code but only
> with it[1] with the latest ESS from ELPA. For instance

> ggplot(data = dd, aes(x = x, y = y)) +
>     ylab("some y") +
>         xlab(" some x") +
>             fact_wrap(~z)

> This is using the latest ESS from ELPA; ess-version: 13.09-2 [elpa:
> 20140507.2352]

Well, this is outrageous:
The ELPA/MELPA version is *NOT AT ALL* ess-version 13.09-2 from
all I know.
Rather it uses a version of the *development* version of ESS,
see below.

> and emacs 24 from Debian: GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+
> Version 3.12.1) of 2014-05-06 on trouble, modified by Debian

> The problem is still present if the only thing I have in my .emacs is

> (add-to-list 'load-path "/home/ramon/.emacs.d/elpa/ess-20140507.2352/lisp")
> (load "ess-site")

> and also if I start emacs with -Q and then I evaluate the above code. So it
> does not seem related to any obvious site/local configuration problems.

> If I use ESS from Debian (13.09-1-1) then I have no problem. Is this a
> known issue, or is there something weird some where in my machine?
> Best,

> R.

> [1] Not just "only". In fact,

> ab + cd +
>     ef + gh +
>         ij + kl +
>             mn

> but I do not tend to type that kind of code, except with ggplot.

and similar.

What formerly indented as

  if(...)
  else if(...)
  else if(...)
  else

now indents very badly.

Please note that the ELPA / MELPA version of ESS are
*development* versions and hence you are beta testing the
release I had planned for last week and postponed, exactly for
this (indentation "broken") reason.

Martin