[ESS] Integration of pandoc using polymode+knitr

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Mar 28 08:54:11 CET 2014

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 12:47 AM, Ista Zahn <istazahn at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well now I am almost certain to take us far off topic for this list...
>
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 4:33 PM, Yihui Xie <xie at yihui.name> wrote:
>> Right -- rmarkdown is not a CRAN package _yet_, but no, it is not tied
>> to the RStudio company in the sense of a software package.
>
> All fine and good as far as I'm concerned. It is common for packages
> to spend some time on github or such before being "ready" for CRAN
> prime-time.

I agree.

>  As you can
>> see, it is open source (GPL-3): https://github.com/rstudio/rmarkdown I
>> do not think there is anything wrong for a company to write open
>> source software packages just because it is a company instead of a
>> university or a non-profit organization. There are great open source
>> products from both *.com and *.org parties. I'm not sure why you are
>> so concerned about the "label", or what your concerns really are, and
>> we (==RStudio) will truly appreciate it if you tell us what we did
>> wrong.
>
> Nothing in my opinion, and I'm curious to hear from Martin or others.
> I like the RStudio IDE (though not nearly as much as I like Emacs +
> ESS + Org-mode), and I hope it succeeds as a company and continues to
> develop useful tools for the R community.

Definitely!  I have said many praises about Rstudio and its staff.
and I do continue tohave the same hope.  Success notably in
conjunction of remaing GPL "all over"
and selling services and not software.

> Open source should not stop people from being rich, should it?

Agreed as well!

>> (although I'm not rich...)
>
> Not in principle, but in practice I think it's often difficult. But
> here is where I do get a bit nervous: What is RStudio's business
> model? How exactly will they get rich? Of course there are the
> training services (can't imagine that this keeps the lights on light
> alone pays salaries) and shiny hosting (which isn't out of beta yet).
> So how do you plan to get rich? My fear is that at some point Rstudio
> decides to cash in and start charging for all of the goodies we
> currently get for free. I hope shiny hosting makes enough money to
> support the company, to I fear that the business model may be
> something akin to Facebook in the early days: get them all hooked on
> free stuff, then when everyone is dependent on you hit them with the
> adds (or fees or whatever).
>

>> The rmarkdown and related products are still under development.
>> Eventually rmarkdown will be a CRAN package.
>
> Yes, all fine and good, I don't see anything unusual here.

Me neither, now that my "bad feelings" have been lifted.
Thank you Yihui and Ista!
Martin