[ESS] Integration of pandoc using polymode+knitr

Yihui Xie xie at yihui.name
Thu Mar 27 21:33:46 CET 2014

Right -- rmarkdown is not a CRAN package _yet_, but no, it is not tied
to the RStudio company in the sense of a software package. As you can
see, it is open source (GPL-3): https://github.com/rstudio/rmarkdown I
do not think there is anything wrong for a company to write open
source software packages just because it is a company instead of a
university or a non-profit organization. There are great open source
products from both *.com and *.org parties. I'm not sure why you are
so concerned about the "label", or what your concerns really are, and
we (==RStudio) will truly appreciate it if you tell us what we did
wrong. Open source should not stop people from being rich, should it?
(although I'm not rich...)

The rmarkdown and related products are still under development.
Eventually rmarkdown will be a CRAN package. I see your point about
the non-R portion of source code (it is big... or is 8.5Mb really
big?), but I guess that misses the goal. The goal is not to write more
R (and only R) code in a package, but to have better-looking output
with less effort in the low-level tuning of Pandoc parameters. There
are plenty of R packages on CRAN that do not primarily contain R code,
right? (e.g. packages for datasets, packages using C++, and why should
packages containing more JavaScript code be second-class citizens? :)

BTW, I'm happy to continue the discussion in private if this is
considered off-topic.

Regards,
Yihui
--