[ESS] GNU Emacs, ESS and point

Sparapani, Rodney rsparapa at mcw.edu
Wed Mar 5 20:22:30 CET 2014

On Wed, 2014-03-05 at 13:27 -0500, Richard M. Heiberger wrote:
> Interesting.  I think you are asking for a behavior that I have and
> don't want.
> I will often have two copies of *R* open.  When they are in the same
> frame,
> entering a command jumps both to the end of the buffer.  In a
> different frame, the *R* buffer does stay where I put it.
>
> For me the whole point of multiple views is to keep one stable for
> reference
> while working in the other.  Therefore what I would like is for the
> view I am
> typing in to move to the end and the other one to stay where it was.
>
> Rich

It sounds like you want comint-scroll-to-bottom-on-output set to 'this
or maybe 'others

comint-scroll-to-bottom-on-output is a variable defined in `comint.el'.
Its value is this

  This variable is an alias for `comint-move-point-for-output'.

Documentation:
Controls whether interpreter output moves point to the end of the output.
If nil, then output never moves point to the output.
 (If the output occurs at point, it is inserted before point.)
If t or `all', move point in all windows showing the buffer.
If `this', move point only the selected window.
If `others', move point only in other windows, not in the selected window.

The default is nil.