[ESS] Error loading R mode

Ista Zahn istazahn at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 15:34:15 CEST 2014

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 8:32 AM, Lucas Holland <hollandlucas at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Rainer,
>
> thanks for your reply. I don’t see how that could be the problem in my case as I
>
> i) edited the Makeconf file to explicitly use the Emacs version installed in /Applications (it’s a binary I downloaded, not installed with homebrew)

I don't think that will work: /Applications/Emacs.app is not actualy a
binary, its a directory with the binary located several levels deep.
Furthermore, the original instruction was to load the _uncompiled_
version of ESS. I suggest starting over: delete .emacs.d/ess-dev, and
follow the instructions at
http://ess.r-project.org/Manual/ess.html#Installation, SKIPPING STEPS
2 AND 3.

> ii) have also tried loading ess from source (as explained by Vitalie)

Try again after removing the ess-dev directory and reinstalling as
described above.

If it still doesn't work, try this:

1) delete any previosly installed ess
2) add

(require 'package)
;; Add additional package sources
(add-to-list 'package-archives
             '("melpa" . "http://melpa.milkbox.net/packages/") t)
;; Activate package autoloads
(package-initialize)

to your .emacs.d/init.el file
3) restart emacs
4) type 'M-x list-packages
5) search for "ess", place the cursor on that line and press "i" then "x".

This will install ess from the Melpa repository.

Hope this helps,
Ista