[ESS] problems when no julia found

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Wed Jul 23 05:39:21 CEST 2014

In short, 3 issues:
1) When an older (13.09) version of ESS could not find julia a popup
window came up and could not be dismissed.  I had to kill emacs.  I have
been unable to reproduce this behavior (even using the same old
version).
2) With either current or older ESS, when julia isn't found bad things
happen.
3) It would be nice if ESS could find julia, in /usr/local/bin.

emacs 23.4.1 on Debian GNU/Linux stable (aka wheezy).  Exact ESS version
details at bottom.

Details.
1)
The popup said something like "no process: switch to buffer?".  If I hit
no (maybe it was cancel) the popup returned.  If I hit yes I got a popup
for directory selection; regardless of whether I clicked open or cancel,
I ended up back at the "no process: switch buffer" dialog.  Clicking the
close button on the  dialog had no effect, and emacs was greyed out
beneath the popup.

2)
Commands in emacs
M-x julia
provide a directory
status line shows: Searching for  program: no such file or directory, julia-basic
C-x C-b
status line: ESS (*julia:2*, julia-basic) starting data directory: ~/mydir
status line: Cannot read history file [snip]
C-x C-b
status line: ESS (*julia:3*, julia-basic) [etc]

Other:

On the very first run, the one in which I got the popup that wouldn't go
away, I had not built julia when emacs launched.  At all later times
there was a symlink in /usr/local/bin.  I'm a little surprised it's not
found.

The original version, 13.09-2, was from the Jan 20
commit a33a2f9e06185a225af7d72ea3896cfd260e455e
Merge: 136742f 6b22a88
Author: Vitalie Spinu <spinuvit at gmail.com>
Date:   Mon Jan 20 00:43:30 2014 -0800

My recent experiments used the latest git version,
f68d4758bcff254722c279c652d743eb26d635f8, and reports ess-version 14.05

Ross Boylan