[ESS] Parenthesis highlighting in ESS 13.09

Mark Seeto markseeto at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 05:05:43 CET 2014

Dear ESS group,

On Windows, I recently updated from GNU Emacs 23.2.1 with ESS 5.13 to
GNU Emacs 24.3.1 with ESS 13.09 (Vincent Goulet's distribution). In
the new ESS, the highlighting of matching parentheses does not seem to
work as well as before. My .emacs file has not changed.

For example, if I type

for (k in 1:length(x))

in a .R file in the new version, there will be highlighting for the
outer pair of parentheses, but not for the inner pair. In the old
version, there is highlighting for both pairs. If I type it into a
.txt file in the new version, there is highlighting for both pairs.

If I just type

length(x)

in a .R file in the new version, there is highlighting.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how this can be fixed.

Thanks,
Mark Seeto