[ESS] Error highlighting in iESS

Sebastien Vauban sva-news at mygooglest.com
Fri Aug 22 23:51:48 CEST 2014

Vitalie Spinu wrote:
> Sebastien Vauban on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 10:16:07 +0200 wrote:
>>
>> There are some things which I don't get as nicely as in R Studio,
>> among others the error reporting.
>
>> See http://screencast.com/t/reEu54obwPn.
>
>> Is there a way to get a similar highlighting in Emacs (i.e., the
>> whole paragraph, instead of just one or two words in red)?  Is it
>> something bad in my configuration?
>
> I am pretty sure this is a bad idea. You might have a stack of a dozen
> errors in your iESS. How would you highlight links to those errors if
> everything else is red?

I would find it more "logical" to have:

- the whole of the error messages in red (such as what I have with Zsh
  where /dev/stdout and /dev/stderr are respectively in white-on-black
  and in red-on-black, see http://screencast.com/t/eteXGMDvYajm), and

- the clickable links (for error navigation) outstanding in different
  colors (such as the results of a Grep, with the `compilation-info' +
  `compilation-line-number' faces);
  see http://screencast.com/t/0lXAPhY72.

> Currently are red, non-intrusive and with clear separation between
> links:
>
>   https://github.com/emacs-ess/ESS/wiki/img/errors.png

I find that very hard to parse (understand: read), because of the mix of
colors. But, yes, that can be only me with my point of view...

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban