[ESS] Previous/Next error in ESS tracebug

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 19:16:21 CEST 2014

 >>> Sebastien Vauban on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 16:04:09 +0200 wrote:

[...]

 > stop("Test error")
 > source(file = "missing-file.R")
 > list(a=22, b=343)
 > ^
 > protocol <- NULL
 > paste("{**", })

 > I have "No traceback available" when pressing C-c `...

You will have a traceback whenever R provides it. In this very simple
example it's a parsing error at level 1. For non-parsing errors you
should always get a trace.

Tracebug buffer is rarely needed. Commonly the errors in the iESS buffer
are enough for navigation.

[...]

 > Not in such an iESS buffer, though:

Same as above. Parsing errors don't have references with evaluation
commands. I am pretty sure this could be fixed with some more tweaking
but I don't have time for that right now.

[...]

 >     "Reference to '<path-to-file>' not found"

 > Somehow, the "c" letter drive is not parsed correctly, and the file is
 > not found then... See http://screencast.com/t/dRGLA4kn5mO.

This is a bug. I have just fixed it. I am really surprised nobody
reported it so far. It means that error navigation never worked properly
on windows. Thanks a lot for reporting this.

 > UPDATE: I just found out that if I eval my above buggy code with C-c
 > C-l (instead of C-c C-c),

Yes. Loading the file or sourcing it directly usually work better for
parsing errors.

  Vitalie