[ESS] ESS Hangs: Text is read-only

Mathieu Basille basille.web at ase-research.org
Fri Apr 11 17:30:27 CEST 2014

Le 10/04/2014 11:58, Paul Johnson a écrit :
> On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 7:14 PM, Mathieu Basille
> <basille.web at ase-research.org> wrote:
>> Le 04/05/2014 03:28 PM, Paul Johnson a écrit :
>>
>>> Thanks everybody for figuring this out.  I can confirm the new ESS
>>> solves the vignette problem I was seeing.
>>>
>>> I found the MELPA tarball has no docs folder, so when I build that
>>> into an Ubuntu package, I have to disable the doc builder. Otherwise,
>>> result is adequate and other Ubunutu users are free to share:
>>>
>>> http://pj.freefaculty.org/Ubuntu/13.10/amd64/ess/ess_20140404.1519_all.deb
>>>
>>> I left the packaging stuff there too, in case you are picky.
>>>
>>> Seems to work fine, only drawback is no "docs" are included in the package
>>>
>>> No, I'm not willing to setup an apt repo for you because I think
>>> that's tedious.  Download the deb and install it yourself.
>>

>> Uh? What's wrong with using MELPA in the first place??
>>

> It is not a deb package for installation across 100s of machines, most
> importantly.

That makes sense, however you're losing updates with this approach, which
you have with MELPA.

The mere fact that Emacs now centralizes all its packages (MELPA,
Marmalade, ...) is a huge step forward. I think I've seen instructions on
how to automatically install a bunch of packages at Emacs startup, but
(AFAIR) they were not straightforward.

> Even on just one Ubuntu system, how are you installing that within the
> larger package framework without doing a bunch of finger painting as
> root?

I'm not sure I understand that one. On Debian, what I do now is that I
install Emacs 24 from the Debian repository (with root access), and then
everything as Emacs packages, including those that are nevertheless in the
Debian packaging system (e.g. ESS, AucTeX, ...).

Mathieu.

--

~$ whoami
Mathieu Basille, PhD

~$ locate --details
University of Florida \\
Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center
(+1) 954-577-6314
http://ase-research.org/basille

~$ fortune
« Le tout est de tout dire, et je manque de mots
Et je manque de temps, et je manque d'audace. »
  -- Paul Éluard