[ESS] Windows ESS: trouble re-configuring shortcuts (but Linux OK)

Ponting, Keith (Keith) kponting at avaya.com
Mon Sep 30 16:28:02 CEST 2013

I too avoid C-Ret, but prefer M-Ret for the evaluate as it means I can use my thumb for the modifier key. Therefore I have switched the shortcuts around. The other problem is fixed by using mode hook, so that the mode-map is not accessed until it has been activated:

;;; useful trick from ESS wiki - M-return (hold alt key and return) evaluates line (or selected region) and steps
(defun my-ess-eval ()
  (interactive)
  (if (and transient-mark-mode mark-active)
      (call-interactively 'ess-eval-region)
    (call-interactively 'ess-eval-line-and-step)))

(add-hook 'ess-mode-hook
 '(lambda()
    (local-set-key (kbd "M-<return>") 'my-ess-eval)
    (local-set-key (kbd "C-<return>") 'ess-use-this-dir)
    ))

HTH,

Keith

Keith Ponting
Avaya Speech Analytics, Malvern WR14 3SZ  UK
Any opinions are those of the author not the company.