[ESS] eldoc doesn't work in remote sessions

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Wed Sep 18 21:24:24 CEST 2013

On 09/18/2013 11:25 AM, Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:
> The immense advantage of screen is that it has been available on every HPC
> cluster I have ever had access to.  Alternatives (mosh as an alternative to
> ssh for example) almost invariable requires buy-in from system
> administrators who may be entirely uninterested in helping you: in other
> words, a good solution using screen would be great and I am excited to see
> Li working on this.  I would love love love to be able to set up a single
> command for doing all of this in one go (including connecting to a running
> screen session, if present and also be able to use something like qrsh to
> get onto a cluster node), but have not had the time to dedicate to this.
>
> Best,
> Kasper

Hi Gang:

I'm not a screen user, but I think I understand the concept.  So, let's
be clear what we are talking about.  You are saying that the cluster
administrators don't want to make changes; as a cluster administrator
I know the type ;o)  OTOH, maybe it would be useful to have this on our
cluster so I would like to hear more about it.  But...  Does that also
mean that the cluster does not have R installed (which frequently
changes as we know)?  How about emacs?  ESS?  etc.?  I guess my
first question is:  what is installed on the remote cluster and what is
coming from the local client?

As far as ESS support goes...  I/We try to build on emacs
functionality; not create new functionality if we can help it.  That's
why we rely on Tramp (and before that ssh.el).  Is there any help to be
had in emacs cloud cuckoo land like:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnuScreen
(the suggestions to use emacs --daemon or emacsclient -t can't be
serious, right?)
or
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsLispScreen

--
Rodney Sparapani, PhD
Manager of Statistical & Computational Operations