[ESS] Emacs taking over CPU

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Tue Sep 17 01:17:31 CEST 2013

On Mon, 2013-09-16 at 15:48 -0700, Vitalie Spinu wrote:
>  >> Ross Boylan <ross at biostat.ucsf.edu>
>  >> on Mon, 16 Sep 2013 15:31:12 -0700 wrote:
>
> [...]
>

>  > If I go C-c C-c for this block it hangs up emacs while evaluating
>  > something_slow().  C-g gets emacs back and also shows intermediate
>  > output from something_slow().  But the second date() is not executed.
>
>  > Is this  the expected behavior?
>
> Yes, you are using the default ess-eval-visibly = t. ESS just waits for
> process after each line of your code.
>
> You have two options. Either change it to any other value. Then emacs
> will not freeze and all your commands will be executed. But with the
> price of not seeing the sent commands
>
> Second option is to set ess-inject-source to t. This way you will see
> all the command and it will not hand emacs.
hang emacs?
> The drawback is that you
> won't be able to accumulate multiple paragraphs of code.
Even after reading the help on the ess-inject-source variable I'm not
sure what you mean by "accumulating multiple paragraphs."  I guess it
has something to do with the docs statement that this only works for
valid R expressions.

> This last part is a relatively new feature and as yet undocumented in
> the docs. I will have to spend some time and document all the ways ESS
> can evaluate. It is very unlikely that there will be any further
> improvement on that front in the year or so to come.
>
> In any case the docs of ess-eval-visibly and ess-inject-source should be
> enough to completely understand ESS evaluation.
Not for me.  Aside from the confusion above, it looks as if this command
is only relevant to ess-tracebug.  It's not clear to me in what contexts
the setting is relevant.

Ross