[ESS] Coloring

Basanese nathan at basanese.com
Fri Sep 13 23:39:06 CEST 2013

I'm making a list of requirements and options for a text editor for myself.
So far, the best option looks to be Emacs Evil mode, since it has the
extensibility and features of Emacs combined with the advantages, admittedly
controversial, of the modal method and such little extras as visual
selection.
I have decided on some features, as follows.

I have searched the forums and googled. After finding answers few and,
occasionally, equivocal, I thought it best to ask these directly of people
who are more familiar with the Emacs system.

Does Emacs use error checking, like live spell check for code?

Also, is there a command sequence to jump to a function or variable's
definition, or to the relevant section of code from a stack-trace, after
moving the cursor to it?

Java is a verbose language. I will be working in it frequently, and will
need to rely on code completion for certain libraries.
Does Emacs have a code completion for variable names? I think it would help
catch bugs before they happen when something I need is not accessible from
the context I am in. Will it expand acronyms?

Does Emacs have very good code coloring? I mean beyond the standard keyword,
string, variable name coloring. Does it color member variables, local
variables, parameters? Is there a library that will, in ActionScript, color
a variable that is actually a setter/getter like a function?
Good code coloring is like peripheral vision.

As for refactoring, will it rename even setters and getters or string
usages?

What means are there for version control integration? That is, how much will
I have to worry about Git while I'm working in Emacs? Can you annotate files
line by line?
How does the diff tool compare to other systems?

Does Emacs have extensions for Smart Typing? Can I paste code and have it
automatically paste to the right tab position? Does it have options for auto
completion of end-brackets, parentheses, quotes, etc?