[ESS] Configuring Emacs "à la RStudio"

Sebastien Vauban sva-news at mygooglest.com
Fri Nov 29 10:14:49 CET 2013

Paul Johnson wrote:
> You can get part of the way, but not all the way. I absolutely hate the R
> Studio setup that restricts you to 4 rectangles.  I still don't understand
> why anybody would put up with that. Its like computing for the window
> manager incapable user.
>
> I think it is wrong to treat graphics as RStudio does, I think that part is
> harmful.

These can be question of taste, but I like to have the generated graphics
visible in Emacs, when I update my code.

Note that I can do that with Org mode, running R code blocks... But I'd like
some similar setup when purely in R.

> I like to have R start in its own Frame, think it should do that
> automatically, and my init.el file does that.  Maybe you can gaze at my
> "Emacs Has No Learning Curve" lecture, try my init file.

I never use more than one frame for Emacs: I just play with (Emacs) "windows".
Once again, it's just a question of own taste.

> http://pj.freefaculty.org/guides/Rcourse/emacs-ess/emacs-ess.pdf

I read on your page 6 that "Inferior R mode provides [...] syntax-based
highlighting of the interaction buffer using Font Lock mode."

In my case, in the iESS buffer, I don't see my commands colored like they are
in the R buffer: everything is fontified with `comint-highlight-input' (except
the strings in `font-lock-string-face').

Do I have to write some special incantation for that to work?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban