[ESS] rtags not working?

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 23:28:32 CET 2013

 >>> Martin Maechler on Mon, 25 Nov 2013 22:46:02 +0100 wrote:

 > On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 9:46 PM, Vitalie Spinu <spinuvit at gmail.com> wrote:
 >>
 >> M-. is an emacs thing (find-tag). I doubt it has anything to do with
 >> ESS. How do you generate the rtags?  With C-c C-e t?
 >>

 > We are talking about the R function rtags(),  and its typical result
 > from ofile="TAGS", which you then (after "visiting" that tags-table)
 > can use in emacs with M-.  as Vitalie said. C-c C-e t is a new
 > keybinding that sets up the tags table (and more) for you.

Thanks Martin for clarification. I wasn't very explicit. Let me
popularize this feature even further.

There are two ways to build tags from ESS, one with C-c C-e C-t which
will look into ess-build-tags-command and, if non-nill, will use that
command to ask the sub-process to build the tags. In the case of R, this
is rtags.

If ess-build-tags-command is nil, then the ESS imenu regexpressions are
used and the etags command is used to build the tags. You can force
etags/imenu even when ess-build-tags-command is non-nill with C-u C-c
C-e C-t. This is useful if you want to build tags for sources other than
R, like C, Cpp, FORTRAN etc, and should work for other dialects as well
(julia, sas etc).

You can even use M-x ess-build-tags-for-directory from other non-ESS
modes which define imenu regexpressions. I didn't test this part
extensively though.

    Vitalie