[ESS] Emacs/ESS is missing that feature

Christophe Rhodes csr21 at cantab.net
Fri Nov 15 14:36:32 CET 2013

Stephen Eglen <S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk> writes:

>> This is a dream project for me. Proper data handling and manipulation
>> with slicing/reshaping/viewporting + plot and generation of summaries. I
>> never started it as it would require a considerably more advanced
>> sub-process communication protocol than what we have now in
>> ESS. Something along swank or, better, nrepl. This is a priority
>> project.
>
> I had the pleasure of meeting Christophe yesterday (thanks Christophe
> for visiting!), and he gave me a great demo of swankr (R in SLIME).  It
> certainly points to the next generation of what is possible with
> interaction in R.
>   http://common-lisp.net/~crhodes/swankr/

Wow, this is a late response from me.  I don't read ess-help regularly,
as should now be obvious!  Meeting Stephen a couple of months ago was a
pleasure, and I just wanted to say that I still use swankr whenever I
have the need to do data analysis things -- which is to say it works for
me.  I know that "it works for me" isn't quite enough for general
consumption, and I also acknowledge the general undocumentedness of
slime, which does make it harder than necessary to extend -- but on the
other hand I am happy to try to meet other needs, hopefully learning
stuff on the way.  Talk to me :-)

Cheers,

Christophe