[ESS] ESS hangs emacs start

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Wed May 22 05:49:48 CEST 2013

I thought I'd report this even though the case may be too idiosyncratic to
worry about. I recently found  that emacs hung on startup, consuming all
CPU, after an eccentric uninstallation of R.

See the bottom for a solution; I don't currently have any problem.

Windows XP, ESS from git 7c9f491805e06f3998ce841c5ac5330e25bb38fb, which I
think is a few commits post the 13.05 release (ESS as of a few days ago).
The system is partly locked down so that I can install programs but not
access the add/remove programs to remove them (!).

R 3.0.0 was installed at the start.
1. Run uninst000.exe from the top R directory under Program Files.
2. Some files could not be removed.  I think I may have had an R session
active, or at least the conventional R GUI up.  In particular, bin remains
with executables.
3. install R 3.0.1.
4. Start emacs 24.3.1.
5. It hangs with all CPU.
6. Typing ctl-G allows me to interact with emacs, though it continues to
consume all CPU.
7. The *ESS* buffer shows
(R): ess-r-versions-create making M-x defuns for
 R-3.0.0-32bit
 R-3.0.1-32bit

Work-around: kill emacs and rename C:\Program Files\R\R-3.0.0\bin to
C:\Program Files\R\R-3.0.0\0ld-bin.  emacs then starts normally.

Ross Boylan