[ESS] Getting eldoc to offer argument suggestions quicker

Steve Lianoglou lianoglou.steve at gene.com
Fri May 17 20:53:39 CEST 2013

Hi folks,

I just upgraded to 13.05. So far so good.

Even though the enhanced eldoc/auto-complete stuff isn't new to this
release (I think it was in the last one) I actually just turned it on
here and *wow*, I totally dig it. Thanks for that!

I was curious if something is hosed w/ my setup, though, because in
order for the argument suggestions for a function to pop up in the
minibuffer, I need to make the point move in some way w/in the parens
of a function before it activates.

For instance, say I'm in the R buffer below and the `|` is the point.
After I type the open paren to `cor.test`, we're looking like so:

R> cor.test(|)

At this point, my minibuffer is silent. If, I hit space:

R> cor.test( |)

Then the args pop in my minibuffer. Or, I can just move the point left
one then right one to land back in between the parens to trigger the
args also show in the minibuffer.

I get the impression that it's not supposed to happen this way and the
args should show as soon as the point starts in between the parens
after I've opened them, but I'm not sure what's cooking on my setup.
I've commented out all of my own customizations to ESS that have been
crusting up over the years, but that didn't seem to fix it.

Is what I'm explaining expected behavior?

Also (separately but maybe similar) in polymode/Rmd buffers, the
auto-complete stuff doesn't really seem to work. I know polymode is
still rather alpha, so I wouldn't fault it for not working, but I'm
just curious if there's a bit I can flip to make it work currently?

I'm on osx.8 and running emacs 24.3 from the terminal.

Thanks,
-steve

--
Steve Lianoglou