[ESS] ESS 13.05 release next week: beta testers welcome

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at dgfc.ulaval.ca
Sat May 11 19:17:42 CEST 2013

Le 2013-05-10 à 14:36, Vitalie Spinu <spinuvit at gmail.com> a écrit :

>>> Vincent Goulet <vincent.goulet at dgfc.ulaval.ca>
>>> on Fri, 10 May 2013 14:22:25 -0400 wrote:
>
>> Le 2013-05-09 à 09:27, Rodney Sparapani <rsparapa at mcw.edu> a écrit :
>>> Two of the new/improved features in particular are ElDoc and tracebug.
>>> You can find more information about ElDoc at
>>> http://ess.r-project.org/Manual/ess.html#ESS-ElDoc>
>>> Note that you can turn off ElDoc, by placing this in your ~/.emacs
>>> file {prior to (require 'ess-site) }:
>>> (setq ess-use-eldoc nil)
>>>
>>> You can find more information about tracebug at
>>> http://ess.r-project.org/Manual/ess.html#ESS-tracebug>
>>> You can toggle tracebug off/on via issuing the following command:
>>> M-x ess-tracebug
>
>> In my distributions, I put a line (require 'ess-eldoc) in the
>> default.el file. I suppose it shouldn't be there anymore with ESS
>> 13.05?
>
> Indeed. Eldoc is on by default and that functionality is built-in now.

Ok

> Also
>
> (setq-default inferior-R-args "--no-restore-history --no-save ")
>
> --no-restore-history has no effect because ESS/comint manages its own
> completion ring. I think having it there is a bit confusing for users.

I think I took this from some old posting of Martin somewhere. I see --no-restore-history does not even avoid the "Cannot read history file" warning message that IS confusing for newbies (I see my students thinking something went wrong starting R).

So, --no-save only?

> ;; Set code indentation following the standard in R sources.
> (setq ess-default-style 'C++)
>
> I am not sure about this, but I think the recommended style is RRR,
> which closer resembles R's conventions. At least we are using it for ESS
> R code. Martin probably can say more on this one.

Not that I kept much up to date on this issue, but that's the first time I read about the "RRR" indentation style. Can you elaborate a bit about it? How does it differ from "C++"? Also, I figure it is different from "DEFAULT"?

Cheers,

v.