[ESS] explain debug() functionality in ESS 13.05?

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 23:42:35 CEST 2013

This is visual debugger. If you are already in *R* buffer the focus is
never switched to the code buffer. The code buffer is only popped up and
the currently debugged line highlighted. The current buffer should
always stay *R*.

If this doesn't happen for you, that means it is a bug or some
configuration of yours that interferes with how ESS views the debugging.

 >> Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com>
 >> on Fri, 31 May 2013 16:18:57 -0500 wrote:

 > What are you using this new functionality for? On Debian Linux, I
 > updated to the testing repository, and that brought in the new ESS
 > 13.05, and there's something I can't understand. I mean, it is so
 > unfamiliar I don't even know what to call it, or if I can benefit
 > from it.

 > Today I run a function in debug, I'm unable to keep the focus in the *R*
 > buffer.  Every time I hit Return, I see this new verbose output starting
 > with "debug"

It is not new, it always appears there whenever you have source
references in your code.

    Vitalie