[ESS] Emacs/ESS is missing that feature

Andreas Leha andreas.leha at med.uni-goettingen.de
Fri Jul 12 21:45:19 CEST 2013

Rodney Sparapani <rsparapa at mcw.edu> writes:

>> 2. decent support to display large tables/data.frames (or .csv files)
>
> Did you try C-c C-d C-e?
>
> C-c C-d C-e runs the command ess-describe-object-at-point, which is an
> interactive compiled Lisp function in `ess-help.el'.
>
> It is bound to C-c C-d e, C-c C-d C-e.
>
> (ess-describe-object-at-point)

[...]

Yes, I am aware of that function and I do indeed use that extensively.

For me, these summaries, head, etc suffice and are more than handy.

But still, while discussing my analyses with the client, the client is
usually not familiar with the different summaries and likes to see the
data.  In these situations, I (far too) often write data to a csv which
I than open in a spreadsheet program.

I would love to see a better possibility to present a larger data set
from within emacs.  Ideally without leaving ess, or via the csv route.

Regards,
Andreas