[ESS] Emacs/ESS better than Notepad++ because...

ottorino ottorino-luca.pantani at unifi.it
Mon Jul 8 15:11:06 CEST 2013

Hi all,
may be I do not understand completely or entirely the meaning of this
thread, and I ignore completely what notepad++ is able to do.

So please excuse me if I'm writing the trivial and I'm off thread.

I would mention the ease of using Emacs in other environments. Latex is
the first coming to my mind.

Another thing worth the effort is rectangle copy/kill paste
(C-x r k, and C-x r y)

As for ESS
I like C-c C-c to run only a paragraph, providing you have blank lines
before and after a piece of code, i.e. the very same command you use in
auctex to compile the latex source.

C-k C-y at the beginning of the line, (copy paste line)

The very same command you use in auctex to compile the latex source,
BTW.

I agree on the "l" and on ediff. Can't work without them.

I would add C-s and C-r to search in the help buffer and M-\ to indent
the code.

and well .... customization, ça va sans dire ...

http://www.emacswiki.org/