[ESS] Recognizing "_" as part of word when double-clicking in ESS mode

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Mon Jan 7 15:30:24 CET 2013

On 01/06/2013 12:56 PM, Matthew Pettis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have the following line in my .emacs file:
>
> (modify-syntax-entry ?_ "w")
>
> I put this in so that in text mode, when I double-click on a word in Text
> mode that contains an underscore, that the whole word will be selected.
>   This works.
>
> However, when editing R code in ESS, this goes away, and complete words
> with underscores are not highlighted when I double click on them.  Any
> advice on how to get ESS to recognize this functionality as well?
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

Hi Matt:

You would need to make that change in ess-s-l.el and
compile/install/etc.  You can also try to convince the developers
that word is a better choice than the current default which is symbol.
I think I am leaning towards word myself.

--
Rodney Sparapani, PhD  Center for Patient Care and Outcomes Research
Sr. Biostatistician               http://www.mcw.edu/pcor