[ESS] Is there a simple newbie guide to using knitr in ESS

Andreas Leha andreas.leha at med.uni-goettingen.de
Sun Feb 10 22:32:34 CET 2013

Hi,

[...]

> While babel might look a bit strange at first, I'm pretty sure it's
> actually not *that* bad ... also, org mode is supposed to be really
> quite amazing (though, still, I don't use it), so if you do dabble w/
> babel, you might get the added benefit of being blown away at how cool
> org mode is in the process.
>
> In fact ... I might be convincing myself to give babel a go as we speak ;-)

I've been doing almost everything in org-mode (and babel) for over
one year now and I am a big fan of it.

Just a word of caution:
Maybe with the new exporter having just replaced the old one in the main
development branch this week (btw. I strongly suggest to make sure that
you use the new exporter even if the old one is still present in your
installation as that one will be gone in the next release) it is a good
point to start with org-mode/babel.  But from my experience until now
org-mode/babel can do literate programming but is not suited for
reproducible research:  I bet I could not recreate many of my projects
from last year without downgrading org-mode first.

- Andreas