[ESS] Version currently available in ELPA?

Chris Evans chrishold at psyctc.org
Tue Feb 5 23:45:58 CET 2013

OK.  Paul Thompson pointed out that he use Vincent Goulet's distribution on Windoze.  So do I ... but it's only for windoze and I to use linux and open formats/open source whenever I can.  Looks as if I should learn how to set up a git or subversion download for ESS on my Debian system.  Anyone got any particular advice before I reinvent wheels, repeat mistakes many have made before me etc.?