[ESS] ess-execute-screen-options sets wrong width

Ali Tofigh alix.tofigh at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 22:07:31 CET 2013

When I run emacs in the terminal, ess-execute-screen-options sets the
width of the screen to one more than it should be. I think this has to
do with an extra column that is being used in the emacs buffer in
which R is running. This extra column appeared at some point when I
updated my emacs and/or ess. Anyway, this means that the width is
always set to the wrong value resulting in many print statements
having the text wrap in the R buffer.

Here is what my emacs R buffer looks like. Note the extra first column
and the "!" that is being displayed on the next to last line. I have
no idea what that is...

 R version 3.0.1 (2013-05-16) -- "Good Sport"
 Copyright (C) 2013 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
 Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin10.8.0 (64-bit)

   Natural language support but running in an English locale

 Type 'q()' to quit R.

 > options(STERM='iESS', str.dendrogram.last="'",
editor='emacsclient', show.error.locations=TRUE)
!> options(width=156, length=99999)