[ESS] best way to clean up iESS buffer?

Charles Berry ccberry at ucsd.edu
Mon Aug 19 18:13:53 CEST 2013

Igor Sosa Mayor <joseleopoldo1792 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Am Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 09:55:33PM +0200, Vitalie Spinu wrote:
>
> > On a more general note, if someone is bothered by the output in *R*,
> > he/she is probably using it wrongly.
>
> yes. THis is maybe the problem. I will think over the way I am using it.
> Thnaks for your answers and work.

Maybe what you want is a kind of 'notebook' capability. That is, you want
to mix code and results in a working document that is incrementally
improved and extended.

??

If so, you might consider orgmode, which makes good use of ESS and allows
you to edit with ess and save printed results and graphics in the same
document with the code and have the results updated as you improve your
code. See:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-R.html

Some other options to mixing code and results are given in this thread:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14941429/structuring-a-statistical-analysis-with-r-using-emacs-ess/14955177#14955177

and on some threads this year on this list.

And there is also the outshine approach to organizing code documents
with extensive commentary:

https://github.com/tj64/outshine