[ESS] Fwd: ess sas interactive (remote)

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Fri Apr 12 17:53:46 CEST 2013

On 04/12/2013 09:48 AM, Vinh Nguyen wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> i'm trying to use sas interactive remotely using ESS in Emacs per the
> instructions at
> http://ess.r-project.org/Manual/ess.html#Interactive-ESS.  However,
> I'm not getting the expected behavior.  That is, I do:
>
> - Open foo.sas in Emacs
> - M-x shell: start shell.
> - SSH over to remote machine in shell buffer
> - start sas: sas -stdio
> - In shell buffer, M-x ess-remote, select SAS language.
>
> Expected behavior: code to be sent to shell buffer.
>
> Observed behavior: ESS starts the log, lst buffer, and starts a sas
> interactive session on my local computer.
>
> I also tried the instructions from
> http://www.stattler.com/blog/remotely-running-sas-interactive-mode-using-ess,
> but M-x ess-sas-interactive did not set up my shell buffer right (I
> get a wrongp error).
>
> However, if I start a sas interactive session locally first, eg, M-x
> SAS, then have a shell buffer for my remote sas interactive session
> (M-x remote), then I can go back to the sas file buffer and use C-c
> C-s to switch to the remote buffer.  That works (code can be sent over
> using "C-c i").  However, this way of getting things to work is just a
> major hassle, and not all local computers will have sas.
>
> Was wondering how people are using sas remotely using ESS?  Please
> advise.  Thanks.
>
> -- Vinh

Hi Vinh:

It's a known bug (search ess-help, it has come up before).  The
ess-remote functionality is the old way of doing things.  ess-remote
was created in the dialup era when remotely accessing a graphical
application was painful.  Now, we have lots of shiny new technology
that allows us to login to the remote host like ADSL, NX/x2go, etc.
Also, if you are an XEmacs stable user, then try ssh -X remote xemacs
since XEmacs is not as resource intensive as Emacs (however, the same
cannot be said for XEmacs beta yet).
--
Rodney Sparapani, PhD  Center for Patient Care and Outcomes Research
Sr. Biostatistician               http://www.mcw.edu/pcor