[ESS] inferior-R-args seem to be ignored: .Rhistory is written anyways

Marius Hofert marius.hofert at math.ethz.ch
Fri Apr 12 14:58:08 CEST 2013

Dear ESS experts,

I set

(setq inferior-R-args "--no-restore-history --no-save")

in order to avoid .Rhistory files etc. The variable is correctly set (I checked
its value). If I start R from the terminal this way, no .Rhistory is
written. However, if I use 'M-x R' to start R a .Rhistory file is written. Also,
I obtain the message "Cannot read history file
/home/mylogin/R/my/path/.Rhistory" which means R is looking for .Rhistory. Why
is the above setting of inferior-R-args not respected?

In other words, how can I guarantee that the R process initiated with M-x R
starts as "R --no-restore-history --no-save"?

[This is on Ubuntu 13.04 with R 3.0.0]

Cheers,

Marius

--
ETH Zurich
Dr. Marius Hofert

Phone +41 44 632 2423
http://www.math.ethz.ch/~hofertj
GPG key fingerprint 8EF4 5842 0EA2 5E1D 3D7F  0E34 AD4C 566E 655F 3F7C