[ESS] ess-tracebug behavior [probably wishlist]

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Tue Apr 9 21:48:45 CEST 2013

On Tue, 2013-04-09 at 21:27 +0200, Vitalie Spinu wrote:
>   >> Ross Boylan <ross at biostat.ucsf.edu>
>   >> on Tue, 9 Apr 2013 12:00:53 -0700 wrote:
>
>  > When I flag a function for debugging with C-c C-t d I get the usual
>  > browser dialog, but no display of the function with the current
> line
>  > highlighted.  I'm also using ess developer.
>
> This happens if the debugged function does not contain source
> references. If you source the file (C-c C-l) or simply eval the
> function
> (C-c C-c) the source is always there. I expect that you are debugging
> an
> in-package function.
I think so (a little hard to reconstruct).
>  R does not keep sources by default. There is an
> option keep-source on building, and devtools actually have that option
> on. Unfortunately the source points to a temporary folder where the
> package was temporary unpacked and it is long gone, so even with that
> option it will not work as expected.
>
> The obvious workaround is to turn the developer on load the file or
> function.
I can't parse the last sentence.  I'm guessing you mean enable
ess-developer and then load the appropriate source file or function.

Now I'm in a mess: I set a breakpoint on one function in a package.
That worked the first time.  Then I flagged a function it called (also
in the package) for debugging.  Now I don't stop at the breakpoint and I
don't get the usual break for debug(fn).  I also tried debug(fn) on the
R command line.  Still no dice.  Both functions are exported by the
namespace.

I don't see any inappropriate functions in the global namespace, and the
log showed
devSourcing 'rclusbin3.R' ...
missreg2 at PKG:   FUN[rclusbin3]
missreg2 at NS:    FUN[rclusbin3]
when I C-c C-l the file for the outer function; that's the right
namespace.

I'm trying to fix it or get it into a manageable example.

It might be relevant that the outer function being debugged is
relatively slow, ~ 6 minutes.

Ross