[ESS] Delay on left-parenthesis

Ken Williams Ken.Williams at windlogics.com
Mon Sep 17 23:06:04 CEST 2012

No, it seems to be worst on things like head().  Today, typing `head(` will result in about a 20 second delay.  By contrast, if I do this:

> foo.function <- function(x,y,z) x*y*z
> foo.function(3,4,5)

then I see no perceptible delay.

> Is your R on local machine? How many packages do you have installed?

R is on the local machine.  I guess I have a fair number of packages installed, but not excessively so.  `ls /cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/R/R-2.15.1/library|wc -l` reports 63 packages, which includes the core stuff like 'base' and 'parallel'.

>   >> It's unresponsive to a C-g or C-c C-g.
>   >>

> This is weird, it should definitely help.

I also just tried C-c C-c, which doesn't interrupt it either.

>   > For me, this bug is now gone with the latest beta, i.e. ESS 12.09.
>
> Yes, the arguments of plot and print are now pre-cached and never
> requested from R. It might be useful to pre-cache some other stuff, but I
> have never experienced problems with any other function.

I could give the newest beta a shot.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message is for the s...{{dropped:7}}