[ESS] getting help with ess over ssh

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 20:44:19 CEST 2012

  >> Jannis <bt_jannis at yahoo.de>
  >> on Mon, 17 Sep 2012 18:43:03 +0100 (BST) wrote:

  > Hi emacs users,
  > after some googeling, I found out that setting:

  > export PAGER=/bin/cat

Better

  (add-to-list 'process-environment "PAGER=cat")

This sets the pager for all comint buffers, including *shell*. ESS does
that by default with local sessions.

  > before starting R after using ssh.el to connect to a remote server gets rid of
  > some errors with the help system. However, the help is now shown in the main
  > console which I do not find very handy.

This should not happen. You are using ess-remote, right? What is ssh.el?
Can you reproduce directly in *shell* buffer and M-x ess-remote?

    Vitalie