[ESS] Finding all versions of R on Windows when R not in default directory

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at dgfc.ulaval.ca
Sat Sep 8 16:36:37 CEST 2012

Hi,

I know people don't read much the installation wizard's screens (I don't myself!), but right after copying of files in the install process of my distribution, there is text box with, among other things, this information:

* If R is not installed in the usual (default) location, it may be
  necessary to edit the paths in the site configuration file for ESS
  to find the R executable. This should also be true for any S+
  installation. The site configuration file is accessed easily using
  the shortcut in the GNU Emacs program group of the Start menu.

And in the aforementioned site configuration file:

;; Path to R executable. Uncomment and edit as needed if R is
;; installed in such an unusual place that ESS can't find it. (And
;; then keep updating with each R update!)
;(setq-default inferior-R-program-name
;              "c:/program files/r/r-2.7.1/bin/rterm.exe")

This is one way to solve your issue. The registry is another.

HTH

v.

Vincent Goulet
Directeur général adjoint
Direction générale de la formation continue - DGFC