[ESS] Debugger entered--Lisp error

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 10:52:54 CEST 2012

  >> Leo <sdl.web at gmail.com>
  >> on Tue, 4 Sep 2012 13:52:29 +0800 wrote:

  > On 2012-09-04 13:03 +0800, Leo wrote:
  >> It is fine for this command to behave like this but there are call-sites
  >> where this error gets in the way such as `ess-calculate-indent' which
  >> hurts indentation.

  > `beginning-of-defun-function' if defined should behave like
  > beginning-of-defun:

  >   If search is successful, return t; point ends up at the beginning
  >   of the line where the search succeeded.  Otherwise, return nil.

  > So the definition of ess-beginning-of-function doesn't meet this
  > requirement. Could someone fix it?

Hm, I see you point. We are actually not using ess-beginning-of-function
in indentation; only in a couple of interactive places where errors are
useful. But I agree that it should comply with the specifications of
beginning-of-defun and beginning-of-defun-function. Derived interactive
functions should handle error messages explicitly.

beginning-of-defun-function was added specifically for swank/slime; so I
fixed it in trunk as you have suggested.

    Thanks,
    Vitalie