[ESS] disabling C-c h bound to ess-handy-commands

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 22:32:20 CEST 2012

  >> Stephen Eglen <S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk>
  >> on Sun, 07 Oct 2012 20:46:23 +0100 wrote:

  >> That means finding handy shortcuts for ess-handy-commands, ess-dev-map
  >> and ess-set-style:
  >>

  >> C-c .           ess-set-style
  >> C-c `           ess-parse-errors

  SE> (These first two seem to be okay to bind -- see the info;

They are reserved for minor modes.

   * Sequences consisting of `C-c' followed by a control character or a
     digit are reserved for major modes.

   * Sequences consisting of `C-c' followed by `{', `}', `<', `>', `:'
     or `;' are also reserved for major modes.

   * Sequences consisting of `C-c' followed by any other punctuation
     character are allocated for minor modes.  Using them in a major
     mode is not absolutely prohibited, but if you do that, the major
     mode binding may be shadowed from time to time by minor modes.

  SE> I think there is nothing wrong with us recommending to users that they
  SE> use those bindings - but I think we should stay clear of installing them
  SE> by default.

I propose to redefine/remove some less used key. For instance

C-c C-d         ess-dump-object-into-edit-buffer

  Would be good to have this for documentation (index, apropos etc) like
  slime does. And put ess-dump-object-into-edit-buffer on C-c C-e or
  something else.

C-c C-f         ess-eval-function
  This one is redundant with C-c C-c and C-M-x, may be remove altogether
  and put something useful on it.

C-c C-k         ess-force-buffer-current
  Is this one equivalent to C-c C-s?

C-c C-n         ess-eval-line-and-step
  We have C-RET for this. C-c C-n is too lengthy for such a task. Can be
  removed.

C-c C-r         ess-eval-region
  If transient-mark is active. This one is redundant with C-c C-c,
  C-M-x, C-RET. Roxygen would be good on it.

C-c C-t         ess-execute-in-tb
  Who is using this one? Would be good to have it for dev-map.

C-c C-y         ess-switch-to-ESS
  Who is using this one? C-c C-z should be pretty enough.

Handy commands should be handy;  C-c C-a is free and pretty handy. How
about dev-map with developer and tracebug on it?

    Vitalie