[ESS] 3 separate Emacs-ESS SAS problems

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 05:57:53 CET 2012

I solved problem 2 below explained.

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 5:05 PM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, Rodney
>
> I'm back to say I've isolated the 2 separate SAS problems.
>
> 1. As you explained, there's a difference between "local" and
> "global". I don't know how to make local work (tried plenty...).  This
> in init.el does not cause errors at start time
>
> (load "ess-site")
> (ess-sas-global-unix-keys)
>
> But I can't find any example where the local variant works. It always
> returns the keymap is nil, the error I mentioned before.
>
> 2. filename.sas -> *shell* mysteriously!
>
> If I open a SAS file and hit F3, it tries to do what it is supposed
> to, but the string "*shell*" is sent to the on the command line where
> it should see the SAS filename. This is the output in Emacs *shell*
> buffer
>
> cd /tmp/flop.sas/
> nohup nice sas *shell* -rsasuser &
> [1]+  Exit 102                nohup nice sas *shell* -rsasuser
> pauljohn at pjlap-124:flop.sas$ pauljohn at pjlap-124:flop.sas$ [1] 6472
> pauljohn at pjlap-124:flop.sas$ nohup: ignoring input and appending
> output to `nohup.out'

Here's the explanation for the problem. I had .sas suffixed to the
directory that held the sas files

/tmp/flop.sas/flop.sas

Hitting F3 causes the malfunction I described above.  The file name
"flop" is changed to *shell* and the thing fails.  It appears that any
directory name ending in .sas kills the batch SAS usage.

As long as I don't name a directory .sas, though, it works fine:)

I'm still working on the interactive SAS, but I'm making progress
there and will let you know.

pj
--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science      Assoc. Director