[ESS] Submitting SAS code to a remote SAS session

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Mon Nov 19 19:12:02 CET 2012

On 11/19/2012 10:59 AM, S. McKay Curtis wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I recently upgraded to the latest version of ESS via Vincent Goulet's Emacs
> bundle, and I am having issues submitting code to a remote SAS process
> (which worked prior to the upgrade).  Essentially, my procedure to run SAS
> was to do the following:

This is the second report we have received about 12.09.  Something
must really be wrong ;o)

> 1) M-x ssh
> 2) Enter required information to log in remotely to a Unix SAS server.
> 3) Start SAS from the command line with the following command:
>
> sas -stdio -linesize 80 -noovp -nosyntaxcheck -autoexec autoexec.sas
> -display **IP Address here**
> 4) M-x ess-remote in the same buffer as the remote SAS session
> 5) Type "sas" when dialect is requested

This is where it seems to break down.  Instead of sending commands
to the SAS session that was launched...  ESS tries to create
a new SAS session locally rather than remotely in the new buffers
*SAS.log* and *SAS.lst*.  I'm pretty sure that this worked in 5.14
so you can rollback to that.

> Then I could submit code from a sas file using commands like
>
> ess-eval-line-and-step-invisibly
>
> Now when I run the above command, Emacs spawns a new "shell" window and
> gives the error "Spawning child process: invalid argument."
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this?
>
> Thanks much!
> McKay

I don't get that error.  Rather I see:

Type <f1> m for help on ESS version 12.09-1
Cannot read history file /bnp/rodney/sas/.SAShistory
Type <f1> m for help on ESS version 12.09-1
Cannot read history file /bnp/rodney/sas/.SAShistory
Type <f1> m for help on ESS version 12.09-1
Cannot read history file /bnp/rodney/sas/.SAShistory
apply: Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size

I don't have a fix at this time.  But, this is an excellent
bug report ;o)  Thanks

--
Rodney Sparapani, PhD  Center for Patient Care and Outcomes Research
Sr. Biostatistician               http://www.mcw.edu/pcor