[ESS] How to start another R-process with another version of R

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 10:58:32 CET 2012

(I understand this might be an unusual scenario but ...)

But I think you cannot have arbitrary names. For instance, if you have a
~/bin where you keep links to a bunch of R versions, names such as R-devel
or R-2.14 or R-2.14-my-test-number-99 will work out of the box. But if you
want to use "R-my-test-number-99", it will not (nor will "R-2-d-2" or "R-3",
etc).

If that is needed, the following (unorthodox?) approach seems to work

(setq exec-path (append exec-path '("/home/ramon/bin")))
(unload-feature 'ess-site t)
;; these are the links that live under ~/bin
(setq ess-r-versions '("R-99" R-my-test-number-99" "R-2.14-patched" "R-2.14" "R-2.13" "R-devel"))
(require 'ess-site)
(setq ess-use-inferior-program-name-in-buffer-name t)

Best,

R.

kjetil1001 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > No I have been searching the ess manual, but cannot fins an answer.
> >
> > How can I get M-x R
> > to start another R binary than the usual, namely my
> > R-devel binary, if possible at the same time as running R-14.1
> > as another process?
> >
> > Kjetil
> >
> > --
> > "If you want a picture of the future - imagine a boot stamping on the human
> > face - forever."
> >
> > George Orwell (1984)
> >
> >        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte