[ESS] knitr

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jun 5 23:59:07 CEST 2012

> There is no point comparing markdown with org mode, and the answer
> will be definitely this: org mode can beat markdown almost everywhere;
> they are not even comparable. The point is that markdown was not
> designed to provide new features; it was designed to be simple so it
> intentionally discarded lots of features and people can learn it
> quickly. I have tried a few times to learn org mode, and it is just
> too complicated for me.

Thanks; this confirms what I thought, that markdown is streamlined.

I did also find org mode quite complicated, as when I started using it,
it was already quite a fully-featured machine.  I started by learning
some small aspects first, and then gradually expanding.  I don't know if
it helps you, but I wrote some org-babel material last year for the ESS
tutorial at useR last year:

http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/sje30/ess11/index.html

If it looks like there is interest in combining org with knitR, then
this might be a good place to discuss it (or the org-mode list, as there
are quite a few users there who use R).

My approach to learning org mode was to start simple, with one feature
at a time.  Did you recall if there was anything in particular that you
had difficulty getting started with?

Thanks, Stephen