[ESS] knitr

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Sat Jun 2 21:17:59 CEST 2012

> I asked knitr users about the ESS support and here is one contribution
> from them: http://sjp.co.nz/posts/emacs-ess-knitr/ It seems to be in
> rough edges, but should be a good proof of concept.
Great, thanks.

> Or you can take an even further step to support other file formats
> like R HTML, R Markdown, R reStructuredText, ... (knitr supports all
> of them) It will be cool to be able to knit() and preview an HTML file
> with ESS. From our experience, LaTeX really stopped many people from
> playing with literate programming with R.

That's interesting that LaTeX was a barrier for R users.

I've not used Markdown before; it seems neat, but what does it offer
that org mode doesn't?  I see there is a markdown-mode.el

http://jblevins.org/projects/markdown-mode/

that has some support for org mode style cycling of outlines.

Anyone prefer markdown to org mode, and if so why?

(If anyone is interested, on the org mode list recently there was
discussion about exporting org docs to markdown.)

Stephen