[ESS] Installing ESS with ELPA

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Thu Jul 19 15:13:58 CEST 2012

On 07/18/2012 03:20 PM, Quefeng Li wrote:
> Hello
> Emacs 24-1 comes with elpa, which could easily install packages like ess
> for you.
>
> Add the following to your .emacs
> (require 'package)
> (package-initialize)
> (setq package-archives
> '(("ELPA" . "http://tromey.com/elpa/")
>    ("gnu" . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")
>    ("marmalade" . "http://marmalade-repo.org/packages/")))
>
> Then, eval-buffer or restart emacs. Use M-x list-packages to invoke
> elpa. It will give you a long list of available packages. ESS is among
> them. Install ESS from that list, and then
>
> (require 'ess-site)
>
> should load ESS for you.

Hi Quefeng:

But, that would be ESS v. 5.14 (circa July 2011), correct?  The
current release is 12-04-4, circa June 2012, and a rather ambitious
update IMHO.  We have not yet made any attempts to automate this so
that ELPA is up-to-date.  We have ELPA on our TO-DO list.  Of course,
patches welcome!

Rodney