[ESS] help

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 12:40:46 CEST 2012

Hi,

Simple instructions are not that simple. 4-5 looks simpler to me that
1-2:) but 4 is confusing.

Just unpack ESS into whatever directory. Then add to your .emacs file

(load "path/to/lisp/ess-site")

You should create .emacs file in your HOME directory. If I remember
correctly, you can see where is your home directory by typing "set" in
cmd and looking for $HOME$ variable. If is not set then it defaults to
user profile directory.  You can also set $HOME$ manually to whatever
path you want in "environment variables" configuration dialog.

After all this, open emacs and do C-h i, go to Emacs Lisp Intro and read
first 4-5 chapters and also chapter "Emacs Initialization". After that
you will know most of what you need and you will never leave emacs:)

BTW, easier would be to install Vincent Goulet's version of integrated
emacs+ESS+Auctex. Why don't you do that?