[ESS] Automatic insertion of space after comma in iESS mode

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 15:44:09 CET 2012

Aleksandar Blagotić <aca.blagotic at gmail.com> writes:

> After recent upgrade I noticed that ESS inserts space after comma by
> default, which is really frustrating, especially because I tend to insert
> space manually, and end up with two spaces after comma, which is quite
> ugly. I can't seem to find a variable that holds reference to this feature.
> Any ideas?

This is a new feature, and is called ess-smart-comma. First it's a first
step towards  ess-smart-operators which is intended to be much smarter
and R specific than well known smart-operators package.

Second it does something more in inferior. If the first key pressed in
inferior is ","  you will get an IDO menu with plenty of handy
commands. This is inspired by SLIME.

I make a variable to deactivate the space insertion,  but may be you
should consider changing your habits?

Vitalie.