[ESS] remoting ESS/R with tramp

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Thu Jan 19 16:11:09 CET 2012

Michael Albinus wrote:
> Rodney Sparapani <rsparapa at mcw.edu> writes:
>
>> FYI...  The graphics issue seems to be related to the fact that
>> (for me) while using tramp, the DISPLAY variable is unset.
>> This is not really an ESS issue per se, but it seems like fault
>> tolerant coding is in order.  However, I'm not really sure how
>> to tackle it right now.
>
> The default solution for this problem is to add the following line to
> the respective entry in your ~/.ssh/config:
>
>      ForwardX11	yes

Excellent!  After fixing that I started using ESS[S] remotely a lot.
However, I finally had to give up.  The help doesn't work nicely.
?chol doesn't pop up a new buffer like it does locally; instead it
puts you into a pager of some sort.  Also, help.start() doesn't work
unless you launch firefox remotely (which defeats the purpose of
working remotely for the most part).  There were a few
other things, but help was the deal-breaker for me.  Can anybody
reproduce these issues (or even better; reproduce and resolve them)?
Thanks.

Rodney