[ESS] .emacs file seems not fully operative since upgrade from 22.3 to 24.3

Sparapani, Rodney rsparapa at mcw.edu
Sat Feb 18 16:56:52 CET 2012

Hi Vitalie:

Well, if you read...
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Init-File.html

You will see that default.el is favored over site-start.el ...

Your site may also have a site startup file; this is named site-start.el, if it exists. Like default.el, Emacs finds this file via the standard search path for Lisp libraries. Emacs loads this library before it loads your init file. We recommend against using site-start.el for changes that some users may not like. It is better to put them in default.el, so that users can more easily override them.

Also, it is my experience, that GNU Emacs installations are more likely to have default.el rather that
site-start.el (and, FWIW, XEmacs is the reverse; I had never heard of default.el).  Also, I think we
should gave Vincent a break here.  He just changed it due to feedback from Stephen and
I; and now you want him to change it back.  Let's cut him some slack please :o)

Rodney