[ESS] .emacs file seems not fully operative since upgrade from 22.3 to 24.3

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Fri Feb 17 22:16:40 CET 2012

Vitalie Spinu wrote:

> I am probably missing something obvious here, but how does it behave better
> if it overrides user's settings behind his back?

For many ESS variables, you need the setq before the require.  That way
the setq's in their init files will be honored.  For example,
(setq ess-sas-global-unix-keys t) needs to be before (require 'ess-site)
so the functions that rely on the setting of this variable get to see
the user's preference rather than the default specified by the defvar
which is nil (GECS does not allow function keys to be set globally by
default).

Rodney