[ESS] .emacs file seems not fully operative since upgrade from 22.3 to 24.3

Christopher W. Ryan cryan at binghamton.edu
Thu Feb 16 23:40:06 CET 2012

Curiouser and curiouser . . .

I had previously posted this, after putting

(global-visual-line-mode -1)

in my .emacs

"Now Fill does not appear in my modeline, and behavior is back to the
way I want it, no filling.  Thanks!"

However, now with either

(global-visual-line-mode -1)
or
(global-visual-line-mode 0)

in my .emacs, Fill is again on by default, for .txt, .tex, and .Rnw
files (the only kind I tried.)

So the problem seems to have come back, for no reason that I can understand.

--Chris

Christopher W. Ryan, MD
425 Robinson Street, Binghamton, NY  13904
cryanatbinghamtondotedu

"Observation is a more powerful force than you could possibly reckon.
The invisible, the overlooked, and the unobserved are the most in danger
of reaching the end of the spectrum. They lose the last of their light.
>From there, anything can happen . . ."  [God, in "Joan of Arcadia,"
episode entitled, "The Uncertainty Principle."]